[DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

[DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

akshay_nuthala
Hi everyone,

Currently carbon only supports altering datatypes in case of primitive types.
We can extend it to complex columns too, maintaining the complex structure.

Please let me know your valid inputs about the same.
Following is the link to the design document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DhhkVXM8rMvOuKDZeccJpFEfO3VkA9C0c7JHCV88NXI/edit

Thanks,
Akshay

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

Indhumathi
+1, to support change datatype within the complex column.

Consider all complex types, (Array/Struct/Map) for this scenario.

Regards,
Indhumathi

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

Shreelekhya
+1 for the feature

Regards,
Shreelekhya

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

Nihal
+1, good to support datatype altering for complex.

Regards
Nihal kumar ojha

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

akashrn5
Hi,

+1 for the feature. Much needed one.

I have some suggestions for the design document.
As of now its more of a flow diagram document. can you please update the doc like what happens in loading part, query part and list all the impacted areas and list the test cases which will make the document more clear and easy for development.

You can refer to column rename document or any existing design documents for reference.

Regards,
Akash

Re: [DISCUSSION] Support altering datatype in case of complex columns

kunalkapoor
+1

Thanks
Kunal Kapoor